Explore Downtown San Luis Obispo
Beneath the Ficus trees over Higuera Street, discover the culture and history of San Luis Obispo. Experience the local wines, craft cocktails, and farm-to-table cuisine from the variety of bars, coffee houses, bakeries, and restaurants.
Some of our favorite things to do downtown
- Mission San Luis Obispo de Tolosa – The namesake and official center of our quaint city. Founded in 1772, the mission has served at times as a military base, a courthouse and jail, and currently as a parish church. Guided tours of the mission and grounds are available.
- Mission Plaza – The plaza is home to a variety of free community events like Concerts in the Plaza, Holiday Happenings, and more. Enjoy public seating in Mission Plaza every day from 11:00am to 8:00pm.
- Farmer’s Market – Every Thursday from 6:00pm to 9:00pm, experience five blocks of fresh produce, famous BBQ, delicious meals, entertainment, and more.
- Art After Dark Downtown – The first Friday of each month from 6:00pm to 9:00pm, explore galleries, special exhibits, open studios and drop in receptions.
- Fremont Theater – A historic movie theater, built in 1941. Full of rich, art deco charm, the Fremont Theater operates both as a moving picture theater and a live entertainment venue.